Councilman Alan D. Wapner has been a member of the Ontario City Council for over 21 years. He has a deep understanding of local government and economic development. During his tenure on the Ontario City Council, the city has experienced record economic success. His leadership in projects like, the Ontario Mills Mall, the Ontario Convention Center, the Ontario International Airport, the Ontario Police Station, as well as the Citizens Business Bank Arena, are just some of the projects that have improved the quality of life for the residents of Ontario and the local community.
Councilman Wapner represents Ontario on many regional boards, and is known in the region as an expert on transportation planning. He has also been a member of the League of California Cities and the National League of Cities Public Safety Policy Committees for over 18 years, as well as the National League of Cities Public Safety Steering Committee for six years. Alan is the past Chair of the LCC Public Safety Committee. Alan is also a member of the following Regional Boards:
- President of the Ontario International Airport Authority
- 2nd Vice President of the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG)
- Member of League of California Cities Board of Directors
- Past Member of Executive Committee of the LCC Mayors and Councilmembers Department
- Member of the Executive Committee of the LCC Inland Division
- San Bernardino Associated Governments (SANBAG) Board of Directors
- Chair-Sanbag Metro Valley Workshop Policy Committee
- Immediate Past Chair of Omnitrans (Transit Agency) Board of Directors
- Immediate Past Chair of the SCAG Transportation Policy Committee
- Alternate Member of Metrolink Board of Directors
- Chair of League of California Cities Inland Division Legislative Task Force
- Member of the Metro Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority Board
- Member of the California-Nevada Superspeed Train Commission
- Member of the Mt. San Antonio College Aeronautics Advisory Committee
Prior to his election to the City Council, Councilman Wapner was the Vice President of the Ontario- Montclair School Board, where he was a tireless advocate for improving public education. On the School Board, Wapner was a leader in making sure the district’s children received the best education possible.
Councilman Wapner has a record of serving people in elective office, but he is perhaps best known for his law enforcement experience. After graduating law school, Wapner became a police officer in an effort to make a positive difference for his community. Wapner retired as a sergeant from the Ontario Police Department in 1998 and became an active and successful small business owner.
Councilman Wapner has always been very active in many local community organizations. He has served as both team sponsor and coach to many local youth sports programs. He has also served on various local booster associations and PTA’s. Alan is also involved with the Boy Scouts, City of Hope, the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, is a Past President of the Ontario Rotary Club and served as the Southern California Regional Governor for Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity.
Alan has been a resident of Ontario for over 35 years. He is married to Judi, and has five children and two grandchildren. Alan graduated from the University of Southern California, where he received his B.A. and received his Law Degree from Whittier College School of Law.