Council Member Alan D. Wapner has been a member of the Ontario City Council for over 24 years. He has a keen understanding of policy, local government and economic development. During his tenure on the Ontario City Council, the city has experienced record economic success. His leadership in projects like, the Ontario Mills Mall, the Ontario Convention Center, the Ontario Police Station, as well as the Citizens Business Bank Arena, are just some of the projects that have improved the quality of life for the residents of Ontario and the local community. Alan is probably most proud of his leadership in regaining local control of the Ontario International Airport, and as President of the Airport Authority, overseeing an unprecedented successful turn-around of business at the airport, and huge economic impact in the city and region.
Alan represents Ontario on many regional boards, and is known in the region as an expert on transportation planning. He is also a longtime member of the League of California Cities and the National League of Cities Public Safety Policy Committees.
Alan’s leadership positions of the following boards has greatly benefitted Ontario and the Region:
- President of the Ontario International Airport Authority (OIAA)
- Immediate Past President of the San Bernardino County Transportation Authority (SBCTA)
- Immediate Past President of the San Bernardino County Council of Government (SBCOG)
- Immediate Past President of the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG)
- Member of League of California Cities Board of Directors
- Past Chair of the Board of Directors of Omnitrans (Transit Agency)
- Member of Metrolink Board of Directors (SCRRA)
- Past Chair of League of California Cities Inland Empire Division Legislative Task Force
- Member of the Metro Foothill Gold Line Extension Construction Authority
- Member of the California-Nevada Superspeed Train Commission
- Member of the Board of the California Association of Councils of Governments (Cal Cog)
- Secretary/Treasurer of the Executive Committee of the Airport International Board Member Committee (ACI)
- Member of the Board of the National Association of Regional Councils (NARC)
Prior to his election to the City Council, Alan was the Vice President of the Ontario-Montclair School Board, where he was a tireless advocate for improving public education. On the School Board, Wapner was a leader in making sure the district’s children received the best education possible.
Alan is a retired police sergeant of the City of Ontario, and is an Ontario business owner.
Alan has been a resident of Ontario for over 40 years. He is married to Judi, and has five children and four grandchildren. Alan graduated from the University of Southern California, where he received his B.A. and received his Law Degree from Whittier College School of Law.