Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Program
About the Self-Identification Program for Travelers with Autism
The Ontario International Airport (ONT) Self-Identification Program for Travelers with Autism is the result of input received from parents of children with autism. This program came about because families with autism expressed a desire to have a way to identify loved ones with autism who might experience a breakdown at the airport.
Airport employees and police responders will be able to identify that an individual has autism and will be better prepared to mitigate or deescalate any issues. This program is completely free, completely voluntary, and a convenient way to let others at the airport know that you and your loved ones might need some additional time or help.
What is the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower?
What can the Sunflower Program do for me?
Self-identifying with the Sunflower Program is easy. By simply wearing the Sunflower, you’re discreetly letting everyone know that you might need extra help, understanding, or just more time as you navigate through the airport. It better prepares our airport employees to help you out. Additionally, travelers who are familiar with the program might also recognize that you may need assistance.
Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it is not there
Here at ONT, we offer these stickers to help you self-identify.
There are a few ways to participate:
- Visit the Travelers Aid desk located on the first floor in either Terminal 2 or 4.
- Speak to an O.A.C.E.S. (Ontario Airport Customer Experience Specialists) team member – they’re in the ONT blue shirts roaming the terminals!
- Contact your airline representative at check-in when you arrive at the airport.
- If you would like to obtain your items before arriving at the airport, you can request to have them mailed by emailing [email protected]. *Recommend reaching out at least three weeks prior to your anticipated travel date.
For more information on The Sunflower Program, visit: https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com
The Hidden Disabilities Sunflower icons
Sunflower Program FAQ’S
More than you might think! These hidden disabilities can be physical, auditory, visual, cognitive, or possibly even temporary in nature. Please visit the Sunflower Program page that contains an ever-growing list of hidden disabilities.
The Sunflower Program also offers travelers the option to custom order and personalize their ID card with icons that highlight their specific needs. Here are some of the icons that you may see.
Yes! The program is for both travelers who have a hidden disability and those traveling with someone who does. It is highly encouraged to also self-identify so airport employees are informed and well prepared to assist the entire group.
It doesn’t just start and stop here! The list of airports participating in the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Program is growing all the time. Many of our nonstop destinations also participate, including but not limited to:
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
- Dallas Love Field
- Denver International Airport
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York City)
- San Jose Mineta International Airport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
Other airports are joining soon, please keep an eye out!
No, it is absolutely free!
Absolutely! We hope it comes in handy on all your future trips.